What are Topic Clusters?
Topic clusters is a content strategy used in search engine optimization (SEO) that consists of grouping related articles around a single topic or theme and connecting them with a pillar content page. The pillar content page serves as the hub around which the cluster content pages are connected by hyperlinks or backlinks
In addition to improving user experience by making it simpler for users to find related information on a given topic, a topic cluster helps search engines understand the relationship between the pillar page and the cluster content. Moreover, by producing a number of cluster content pieces, you can aim for a broader spectrum of keywords associated with your main topic, thereby increasing the likelihood of ranking for those keywords.
In general, a topic cluster is a way to organize your content in a way that is both user-friendly and optimized for search engines, and it can help to increase the topical authority, search visibility and traffic to your website.
Why is Topic Clusters Important to SEO?
Topic clustering is important to SEO for several reasons:
- Improved Search Engine Visibility: By organizing your content around specific topics and linking related pieces of content together, you can help search engines understand the structure and context of your website. This can lead to improved visibility and rankings for keywords related to your topic cluster, as well as increased traffic to your site.
- Better User Experience: Topic clustering provides a better user experience by making it easier for users to find related information on a specific topic. This can help to reduce bounce rate, increase time on site, and improve engagement metrics, all of which can contribute to better search engine rankings.
- Increased Link Equity: By linking related pieces of content together within a topic cluster, you can pass link equity (the value of a link to search engines) between pages on your site. This can help to strengthen the authority and credibility of your pillar page and improve its chances of ranking well in search results.
- Wider Keyword Targeting: By creating multiple pieces of cluster content, you can target a wider range of keywords related to your main topic, increasing the chances of ranking for those keywords. This can help to drive more organic traffic to your site, and improve your overall search engine visibility.
Overall, topic clustering is an effective SEO strategy for improving the visibility and authority of your website, and for providing a better user experience for your visitors.
3 Examples of Topic Clusters
The pillar page could be “The Comprehensive Guide to Healthy Eating”, and the cluster content could include individual articles on topics such as “The Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet” “10 Quick and Healthy Meal Ideas,” and “How to Read Food Labels.”
The pillar page could be “Overview of All of Fitness Programs and their Benefits” and the cluster content could include individual articles on topics such as “The Best Exercise for Building Muscle,” “The Benefits of Yoga,” and “How to Start Running for Beginners.”
The pillar page could be a “Ultimate Guide to Planning Your Next Vacation”, and the cluster content could include individual articles on topics such as “The Best Budget-Friendly Destinations,” “How to Plan an Epic Road Trip,” and “The Best Places to Visit for Adventure Sports.”
4 Steps to create a Topic Cluster
- Select a topic that has
- potentially high search volume
- Informational search intent
- Broad topic that can generate subtopics
- Perform Keyword Research
- Select subtopics
- Link your posts and page together